Saturday, March 17

stripe fever

For some reason lately I find myself wierdly attracted to polos, maybe its the stripes, maybe its the collar, maybe its just the 'all american-ness' which even though I'm Canadian I can still totally appreciate, but I just seem to be in love with them now.American Eagle $25

Garage $20

They're bright, they're fun, they come in a wide variety of colours, they look like they just stepped out of a Tide commercial, and you know you love them.

Urban Outfitters $28

But if, because of some wierd freak genes or something you don't love them, you can always go for something a little snazzier without abandoning the stripes.

I don't know how many times I've heard someone say "But wtf is the difference between leggings and tights?" So I decided to find out, once and for all, with my trusty internet 'knows everything' page: Wikipedia.
As always, Wikipedia had a very long and boring explanation about what leggings are, so I decided to just pull out the important parts for you guys.

"In contemporary usage, leggings refers to tight, form-fitting trousers that extend from the waist to the ankles"

So I've concluded that leggings are those annoying lycra skin tight contraptions that start at the waist( where most pants do) and cut off right at the ankles, and tights are non-annoying lycra skin tight contraptions that start from the waist and keep going, they're kind of like leggings with socks attached.

So, just to make it annoyingly simple, these are leggings:

And these are tights:
Tights= worn mainly by ballerina's and 2nd graders
Leggings= worn by people from the 80's( or wish they were from the 80's)

*Phew* I'm glad we got that all straightened out.

24 Comments:

dusk&summer said...

I love the first polo, im feeling yellow alot right now :) and that top from urban outfitters is really cute :) ps- thxs for the clarification :P

maya said...

i like the urban outfitters one best because the collared ones are abit too preppy for me.

Miss V. said...

I love the first polo! Such a bright colour.

Ha, both tights and leggings annoy me now.

ambika said...

Love the UO top--the ruching is perfect. And the last comment on leggings & tights is dead-on.

From Lily With Love said...

I like the first and third shirt

Tamron Lohan said...

easy as pie:
tights = footies.
leggings = no footies.

i too love polos. they're timeless. i also sorta like the girly takes: puffy sleeves or empire waists -- i think urban is doing the latter.

Allure said...

I love stripes.

molly said...

so basically: tights cover your feet.

hahaha
vancouvers awesome. i live in victoria and its pretty amazing too

coco said...

i love the second to last picture. that is a really good look.

the lipstick lady said...

HAHA, i love your definition of leggings and tights

Emma said...

as much as i hate polos, i really like that second blue and white stripey one.
it just looks like the kind of top that would make one look thin and attractive and springtime-y. you know?

L. said...

I love those red shoes. I know that is not the point of your post but I do. Maybe a red and white striped polo, jeans and those gorgeous shoes. Heaven.

Tru said...

I love polos

Maddy said...

Polos don't have to have stripes! Not that I'm an expert, I've never owned a polo in my life. Everybody at my school wears them, which, like Birkenstocks and Juicy Couture, means I don't.

Emma said...

hey, how did you make your ridiculously cool header?

-S said...

love the first one, especially the yellow colour.

Sarah said...

i really like the urban outfitter shirt.

VogueStrikeAPose said...

The last stripped shirt is adorable! Nice blog.

hellocello said...

ahhh yellow!

:D

oh and the urban outfitters shirt was great as well, but, YELLOW!!!! :D

Ellen SB said...

I love polos! Good tip;)

Isabel said...

Gack - I despise polos! Mainly for their preppy colla-poppin' potential, that way too many people take advantage of. However, that urban outfitter collarless "polo" (I would probably call it a henley), really striked my eye.

Raji said...

I can do without polos for the rest of my life... but tights will always have a place in my wardrobe.

Emma said...

hahaha.
yeah, i have that likes-to-sit-around syndrome too.
that's why i'm glad there's so many vintage couches sprinkled around the store.
plenty of places to park my ass and pretend like i'm working, just like i do in the lounge at school.

the tall one said...

I love the amerian eagle polo, I'm seeing lots of their stuff stripped lately.